I’m a huge advocate of getting kids into the Bible, and one of the most basic ways to do that is through memory work. I’ve already shared a couple of themed sets of printable memory verse cards (including a set from the book of Matthew and a set from the book of Proverbs about speech), but the sets I’m sharing today doesn’t have a particular theme. Rather, these two sets are a compilation of Bible verses that I consider starter sets. The bible verses in these sets come from both the Old Testament and the New Testament, and are easy memory verses to use when you first begin working with your kids or bible class students on memorizing Scripture. Of course these memory verse cards can also be used even if you’ve already been working with your kids on memory verses too!
If you are frequent reader of my blog you’ve probably already read about Charlotte Mason’s Scripture Memory System for helping kids (and even adults!) memorize Scripture. But, I love the system so much that I wanted to mention it again. The Charlotte Mason Scripture Memory System is my favorite way to teach kids to memorize Bible verses, and it only takes a few minutes a day.
These starter sets include a total of 30 Bible verses (see the complete list below), and are available in both the New King James Version (NKJV) and the English Standard Version (ESV).
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I may receive compensation if you purchase something through a link in this post. Please know I only link products and services that I would use myself! For more information, please see my full disclosure.
Memory Verses In The Starter Sets
Here is the complete list of the bible verses included in these sets. The scriptures below are in the New King James Version (NKJV), but the printable is also available in the English Standard Version (ESV).
- Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
- James 1:22: “But be doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
- 2 Timothy 2:15: “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Ephesians 6:1: “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.”
- Romans 15:4: “For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.”
- Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.”
- John 1:29: “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!”
- Psalm 119:105: “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
- Ecclesiastes 12:13: “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.”
- 1 John 4:7-8: “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.”
- Mark 16:16: “He who believes and is baptized will be saved, but he who does not believe will be condemned.”
- Proverbs 10:1: “The proverbs of Solomon: A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is the grief of his mother.”
- Proverbs 15:1-2: “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.”
- Matthew 1:21: “And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
- Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen”
- Deuteronomy 6:4-5:”4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.”
- John 14:6: “6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
- Romans 1:16: “16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.”
- Philippians 4:4: ”4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!”
- Joshua 1:9:”9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Galatians 5:22-23: “22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”
- Ezra 7:10: “10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel.”
- Colossians 3:17: “17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”
- Acts 4:12: “12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
- Psalm 1:1-2: “Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.”
- Acts 2:38: “38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
- Ephesians 4:4-6: “4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”
- Colossians 3:1-2: “ If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.”
- Proverbs 11:2: “2 When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.”
- John 3:16: “16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
How To Download Your Free Printable Memory Verse Cards Starter Sets
To have your free printable memory verse cards from Matthew sent right to your inbox, join our email list by clicking the “Download Free Memory Verse Cards ” button below. After you confirm your email address, a link will be sent directly to your inbox to download your free Bible Reading Plan for kids. I highly recommend printing on cardstock or other heavy weight paper. The cards could also be laminated for additional durability!